I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Saturday, October 31, 2009

Prison gadgets

Being in prison, you will come across some of the craziest homemade gadgets that you’d never in a million years think of making or could make.

A lot of things I’ve never seen, but heard plenty of stories about. But some of the things I have seen are:

- Tattoo guns made out of electric razors and other electronic devices


- Ashtrays made with bars of soap


- A thing which people use to cut hair – made out of a comb and razor (people do that so they don’t have to get all their hair cut off at the barber)


- Fishing line which is a long piece of string with a weight attached to the end and it’s used to slide normal contraband from one cell to another.


- Speakers – which is really just a cone made out of paper with radio headphone inside (the cone amplifies the sound).


People also light cigarettes off the overhead light in their cell or from two batteries, a lock and a razor blade.


I’ve seen chess pieces made out of paper mache, and the last thing I’ve seen is a screwdriver made out of rubber cement and something else. There’s probably more I can’t think of!

For more prison inventions, check out WebUrbanist.

No comments:

Post a Comment