I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sign language

Here in prison, there are going to be times when you’re unable to talk. For instance, if you’re in class or walking in line, whatever. Another form of communication that I’m working on learning during times like that is sign language. It’s not complete sign language, but just the letters of the alphabet, but that could still come in handy for me.

So far, I’ve learned the alphabet. I’m just working on being able to sign and read sign language at a reasonable pace. Right now I’m still getting certain letters confused with one another. I say give me another month at the most and I’ll have the hang of it.

I think when I get out of prison I might take a class to learn how to do more than just the alphabet. I never thought sign language could be fun, but it is.

Photo: American Sign Language alphabet. (Click photo to enlarge.)

3 comments:

  1. sign is lots of fun. they have really good classes at SPC. i was wondering what happens to people that are in wheelchairs in jail and prison? like what do they do if its someoneone who cant feed or dress them self etc? I was just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll see if I can't find out. Good question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Handicapped as far as deaf or blind wear a flourescent coat to notify officers of disability so they arent ruled as disregarding officers. People with severe handicapps are sent to special hospital prisons for care and a low level institution. If they are just a little older and need slight help some institutions pay a prisoner pennies per hour to help the disabled prisoner get to meals and other duties. This is in California prisons.

    ReplyDelete