I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Friday, November 13, 2009

Canteen balances and calls from prison

I called the CFRC - Main today. I found out some very useful information.

For Florida prison canteen account balances:

If you call 866-209-7250, you can find out an inmate's canteen trust account balance. That number is for the Tallahassee bank that handles all Florida prisons' canteen (commissary) accounts. Inmates will receive the money no matter where they go in the Florida prison system.

To access the account balance, call 866-209-7250. Press 1, enter the inmate's DC number, if the number was entered correctly, Press 1. The balance will then be announced.

Cons Call Home cannot be used anywhere in Florida. Cons Call Home is much cheaper than other services. Figures it can't be used here. That would be too convenient.

To set up your home phone to be able to receive phone calls from a Florida inmate:

Call Correction Billing Services at 800-844-6591.

My phone service is Bright House. A Bright House representative told me I was unable to receive collect calls from a prison. While this is technically accurate, he neglected to tell me that there is a way to enable my phone to receive a call from an inmate.

According to the automated system on Correction Billing Services, you can pay for collect calls in one of several ways: Western Union, credit card, direct billing through the phone company (for an additional fee) or direct billing through Correction Billing Services (via a credit check, but no additional fee). You can only receive collect calls from a prison on a home phone. (No cell phones allowed.)

Once you select a payment option and the service is activiated, the collect calls will be enabled within 24 hours.

4 comments:

  1. You can get a VOIP SKYPE 'phone' for your PC and assign ANY area code you want to it.

    That way you can get around their STUPID rules.

    I use SKYPE and it is great, I'd be more than willing to help you get it set up.

    Costs me $3 month for unlimited calling out to US and Canada, $24 annual for a phone number IN, that people can call. You can pick ANY area code you want. $10 for a headset and you are done.

    If you would like my help please email me at - thericksterman@tampabay.rr.com

    I'd like to help, if I can....

    StPeteRickster

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who just landed himself in the florida prison system. he is currently at south florida reception center. I have a cell phone through metro pcs. will I be able to set it up to receive calls from him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you set up phone services for the Work Release program in Orlando?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HAVE A COUSIN THAT IS IN BUTLER NC LOW SECURITY PRISON HOW MUCH CAN YOU SEND FOR CANTEEN? WHAT CAN THEY BUY? IM CURIOUS//. PLEASE EMAIL ME BACK...

    ReplyDelete