I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Friday, January 1, 2010

I forgot my ID

This morning started out like every other morning. I woke up, made my bed, brushed my teeth, shaved, then sat down and waited to go to breakfast. Even though I’m used to this morning routine, I forgot one thing. To bring my ID to breakfast.

Everywhere we go, we’re supposed to bring our IDs. I made it all the way to the chow hall before I realized my mistake. I knew the CO inside was going to notice and he did.


He asked me where my ID was. I said, “I forgot it in the dorm, sir.” Well, he didn’t look happy. He told me to go ahead and eat then added, “When you’re done, come see me.”


I got back in line, grabbed my tray and sat down to eat. When I finished my food, I put my tray away and went back to the CO. He said he was going to go easy on me. “Give me 50 pushups now and then later I’m gonna bring you something.” So I did my 50 pushups and left.


About an hour later, the CO came to my dorm and woke me up. He handed me a large piece of paper that simply said in big letters “MY ID” and told me to come outside.


I got dressed and followed him. He said, “Okay, here’s what I want you to do. I want you to hold this piece of paper that says “MY ID” at your chest and march around the compound yelling ‘I will not forget my ID’ over and over. Just keep marching until I tell you to stop.” So I did.


Keep in mind it’s about 6:30 in the morning and I’m barely awake. I marched around the compound three times and he finally told me to stop. He said, “Okay, you’re done for now, but if I ever ask you for that piece of paper that says “MY ID,” you’d better have it. I don’t care if it’s a week from now.” Then he let me go back to my dorm.


I felt so humiliated, but at least I’ll never forget my ID again!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Teddy,

    I sent you an e-mail regarding my son I would like for you to read. Thanks!!! Happy New Year!!

    Linrue

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, at least u can look back at that after a week and have a laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete