I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Monday, January 25, 2010

My grandma and I


When I was six years old, my mom, dad and I moved from Connecticut to Florida to live with my grandma. My grandma had M.S., but she could get around in her electric scooter.

After my parents got divorced, I had to start helping my grandma out with just about everything. I went to the store for her, cleaned for her, walked her dog, mowed the yard every now and then, etc… I could go on forever.

My mom and I continued to live with my grandma because she needed so much help and it wouldn’t have been right to make her live alone.

As the years passed, her M.S. got worse – to the point where she couldn’t get out of her bed at all. It was hard on me and my mom because she could no longer get up to do the things that she needed to do like eat. Even though she hired a home health aide to come in for a few hours each day, I had to help her the rest of the time.

It’s not that I don’t love my grandmother, but it was hard on me because she needed so much. I know she can’t help her condition and I regret holding it against her.

Now as I sit in prison, I think about when I helped her and how I should’ve done more. When I’m released, I’m going to move back in with her and show her how I’ve really changed.

4 comments:

  1. You will be the apple of your father eye , GOD

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you get out, straighten up! Make something out of yourself and I promise you will be ok. We already got too many teens your age making mistakes, due to lack of judgement. Don't be a statistic. Believe in yourself, so others can believe in you. Congrats on the ABC News Now segment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what? There's a lot of people out there who have made mistakes, like you did. The difference is that you want to change yourself, for yourself. That's a very good thing. This site, is a wonderful idea, and I am glad your mom is helping you out. (Hi mom!) So I hope that she passes along the thought that someone in Minnesota is thinking about you, and wishing you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Grandson is also at Lancaster. He is having a really hard time, but calls each night. Some of the Guards are giving him a hard time. It is his first time in trouble and he has about 1 1/2 years to go. My cousin is going to turn over his business to him and work with him when he gets out. He just got his GED. I am also from CT and my Grandson is also a transplant from CT. He has turned his life over to the Lord, but Satan is making it tough for him. I, too would like to start a blog for him. Thanks to your Mom for doing this, and God Bless you, too.

    ReplyDelete