I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Friday, January 29, 2010

Out of sight, out of mind

While I was in county jail, I used to get letters from a couple of people. They kept writing and always encouraged me. They told me they would continue to write and they couldn’t wait until I got out. Apparently, that isn’t the case because ever since I got to prison back in September, I haven’t received one letter from any of those people that said they’d keep writing. I guess it's “out of sight, out of mind.”

Being incarcerated, you learn who really cares about you. Even most of my old friends didn’t write me while I was at the jail. It’s been 15 – 16 months since I’ve heard from any of them. Not that I’d want to [hear from them] these days, but it really shows me who keeps me in their thoughts. Although I must say – for the few people who were writing me in the jail, telling me they were proud of me and can’t wait ‘til I get out – it really caught me off guard when you stopped writing. I was hurt for awhile, but now I can see I mean nothing to you. It’s okay though. There are still plenty of people that want me to do right when I get out.

1 comment:

  1. Well you are in my thoughts and prayers. Got your letter and glad you are ok. The meeting of your mom and me is a divine apppointment and can't wait to really meet you. Take care
    http://www.thethrowawaykids.com

    Ms Rita

    ReplyDelete