I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Saturday, January 9, 2010

Heartfelt pain

I love getting visits from my family and it’s always the highlight of my week. For me the six hours of visit is like heaven, but for some it’s like a dream that you don’t ever want to end.

While I visit with Mom or Dad, I look around and can’t help but notice people that very rarely get visits are spending those very precious six hours or less with their kids. What gets me is a lot of these guys that have kids are younger than me and I’m only 20. I don’t know what I’d do if I had a kid so young.

What’s even worse is having a kid so young and then being sent away to prison. I thought I had it bad.

My heart goes out to these people that can’t be with their kids – especially during the holidays. I can’t even imagine the pain they feel. Just imagine how hard it is for the kid’s mother, having to support their baby by themselves in this economy while the father is in prison.

Most of these guys that have kids will never even get a visit. I’ve heard so many stories about how they can’t even get their kid’s mother to even write them, let alone come to visit. I don’t know how they deal with the pain. I couldn’t do it and hopefully I’ll never have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment