I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Friday, January 22, 2010

Oh grow up!

All day long I hear people my age tell me that they’re grown men. I just don’t see it. Most of the people I’m locked up with act like they’re kids. I think all the drugs they’ve done slowed their brains down and their bodies just keep growing.

Also they talk about how they’ll never come back to prison, then five minutes later, they’re talking about selling dope, making money and just doing some really dumb stuff.

How do they think they’ll get away with all that stuff for the rest of their lives and never get caught? I guess that’s why they say that 85% of inmates will come back to prison. Some people just can’t learn. They just want to act like kids for the rest of their lives.

Even though I’m in prison just like them, I don’t ever remember acting immature like a lot of other people here. I can’t wait to leave here to get away from them.

3 comments:

  1. A friend sent me this link, my name is Darren 45, I was just like Ted. I was locked up at 12 and did not stop until I was 40. But like you my family stuck by me for all those 24 years of lockup. It was a long haul. But in the end I fond my voice myself and life. I began to write inside and now am a very accomplished poet. I have a five year old son and now a daughter that is going to come and live with me. I have divested parole long ago. And am going to school. Doing the right thing all the time has its rewards, not the huge payoff of an armed robbery or drug deal, but I find that when something good does transpire however small, like a green light, or getting the bills paid, these are rewards that make me smile, I stillhope for success as a writer, or to be rich, but now common sense rules that.I love that storys like Teds are getting out there, so many people think building more prsions is the answer. What I do tthink si that they need more education, and people like Ted or I involved to help the kids slipping between the cracks, like Ted or I. JUst recently here a play was put on by a bunch of cons. And I go read my poetry outloud. Tell Ted that life is beautiful, that living among sane people is much better, most of all tell him to like himself. I wish my mom would have had the same devoution. Ted is lucky to have his mom. I hope he know this. Darren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to post one of your poems Darren. You can send to teeninjail@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happened you have not updated, is Ted ok, not in trouble? Darren

    ReplyDelete