I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A day to remember with my dad

Today is a day I’ll remember forever. Today is the first time in 15 months that I saw my dad in person.

For the last month, all I’ve been looking forward to is getting a visit from him and when he finally walked into the visitation room today, I was filled with so much excitement.

One thing that really hurt me though – I noticed that since the last time I saw my dad, he looked like he got older and it really made me realize how much I’m really missing while I’m here in prison. Other than that though, I had a great visit.

For some reason, I’m always really quiet around him, but I hope he knows that I was really happy to see him. He always has the corniest jokes that I can’t help but laugh at. Even when he’s not telling jokes, he has this funny mannerism about him.

I really love spending time with him. I just wish I knew how to tell him. Even though I can’t express my feelings like I want to, I still had a great time today. We played cards, ate food and talked about the old times when I was younger.

I just can’t wait until the next time he comes to see me. Better yet, I can’t wait ‘til I get out so I can spend time with him without looking at razor wire fences and correctional officers watching us at all times.


Ted’s dad, Bill Braden, visited him occasionally in the county jail from October 31, 2008 until September 8, 2009, but the visitations were over a video monitor telephone. Inmates at the jail were in a separate building from visitors. It makes all the difference in the world to kiss and hug your child for the first time in over a year. See a video of Teddy with his daddy in 1992 here.


Photo: Ted Braden and Bill Braden on January 3, 2009 in the visitation room at Lancaster work camp. Click photo to enlarge.

1 comment:

  1. I really thank you for this post. I'm confident that Ted will realize in time just how important it will be to go on a mission to the world to proclaim that most of us are really letting life slip by, given the many blessings and opportunities we have that we are just taking for granted. Thanks again for this and so many other the great posts. As someone who lost my own Dad about 18 months ago, I'd be happy to sit in prison tonight if it means I could ever see him again. Ted is lucky, even when he thinks he isn't.

    ReplyDelete