I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Saturday, September 19, 2009

Leaving gangs behind

All my teenage years as a gang member, I learned to hate rival gangs.

One gang that I hated the most was called “Folks” or “Folk Nation”. I have never talked to one and have never liked one, but over the last 4 or 5 months, I’ve become really good friends with a Folk gang member [in jail].

It turns out that we were sentenced to prison on the same day so we will both leave on the same day to go to prison.

I know we probably won’t be able to change anybody’s mind in prison about being in a gang, but just maybe somebody reading my blogs will see that it doesn’t matter what set you represent or where you’re from, or what colors you wear. We are all just human beings.

If you really think about it, gangs don’t do nothing for you. The only thing it will do for you is what it did for me – and that is give you twice as much time for anything you get in trouble for. It only enhances the charges.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you're still reading comments to blogs but here goes. I'm reading all of your posts but have a ways to go so maybe you address this somewhere I haven't read yet. I hear you say you made bad choices. From what I gather so far, you had an attentive mother, albeit one who overindulged you as many of us parents make the mistake of doing. Although all overindulged kids don't turn to a life a crime. My understanding of gangs is that people join them because they want to feel part of a family. I'm no expert and not even well read on the subject so I could be way off but that's what I've heard. With an attentive mother and your love for your grandmother, and I'm not sure where Dad is in all of this but I've read you mention him once so far, why did you feel the need to join a gang? Also, again, I hear you talk about making bad choices but what was going on in your head to make those bad choices? Take us back to when it actually started, at age 13 from what I've read.

    ReplyDelete