I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Prison education

When you get to prison, you are assessed to see if you need or want an education. For me, I already had my GED when I came to prison, but I wanted to learn another trade. Unfortunately, even though I asked to learn one, I was never asked what I wanted to learn or told what is even available.

I have been told by people that work in prison that I should use my time to get a better education. Apparently, I can’t though. They don’t offer anything here at the work camp. It really didn’t matter to me, though, because I write a lot anyway. But for those that don’t have anything going for them, I don’t see how they can better themselves. It doesn’t seem like the state of Florida offers too many classes. It’s extremely limited.

To me, it seems like it’s almost impossible to rehabilitate a convicted felon in prison. Think about it. The only real classes are GED classes and if already have it or don’t, you spend your whole day around criminals who only talk about selling drugs, robbing people, etc… It seems like prison can only make a person worse. Although I’m sure there are a select few who actually make it because deep down inside they really want to change.

3 comments:

  1. Hiya Ted! Just spent like the last hour reading your blog. It's amazing! Sounds like you're a really strong guy.. I'm a member at www.writeaprisoner.com, and already have three inmates I write to about once a week. All of them are 18-23 years old, and 2 of them are serving life.
    Sometimes I just don't know what to say, and if I proper think about it, I just get really mad.. What the hell.. What's the point?! I mean, who didn't screw up as a teenager, we're not that different. And they have to spend the rest of their lives in prison. I don't know what to say to that, so I don't say much at all. I just tell them about my life, being a busy student at one of Britains largest universities.
    I might just write you some time, if I can?
    Wish you all the best, you sound like a great lad.
    X x Amanda
    (rklingsheim@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way.. I think you might get a few more comments (if you want them) if you enable the log-in thing at your comment. I used to have a blog (which is why in the end I could comment), and I remember somehow you could enable that so people could just leave their email-adr or name.. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work. Prison Education

    ReplyDelete