I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Friday, March 12, 2010

Getting a job

I know there are organizations that will help find me a job, but they are going to be the kind of jobs nobody else wants to do. I don’t want to be stuck working a job like that for the rest of my life.

I know I’ve probably talked about it before, but I can’t seem to find the right words to describe how I feel about how hard it’s going to be to get a job when I get out.

Nobody wants to hire a felon. Especially one with a record like mine.

Even if I wasn’t a felon and I had a clean record, it’s still hard to get a job in this recession. So now that I’ve been to prison, it’s going to be that much harder. With so few jobs out there and everyone else applying for them, I’m going to be the first person they decide NOT to hire.

I know I can do much greater things if I was just given the chance. I don’t care if it’s not a job that will make me rich as long as I like what I’m doing and making a difference.

I just want to prove to myself and my family that I’m not doomed to spend the rest of my life in prison.

3 comments:

  1. I have also done some time in prison - two years to be exact, and am a female. This is definitely a legitimate worry. However, you will be surprised at how many people WANT to see you succeed out here. When I got out I applied to the local Community College and started taking classes. I think this is the best route, even if you must work along with taking classes, because being in college kind of shows people that you want a different kind of life. Even if you don't know what to go for at first, just having a semester or two under your belt looks good on job applications or at interviews. And besides, the fact of the matter is that you're right, you probably will have a hard time getting any job, let alone a decent paying one..so why not set your sights a little higher? With a college degree, people are much more likely to look beyond your past and say, "Okay, he messed up..but look at the effort he's put in since then." I actually started taking courses while I was still in prison, whether they were credit courses or not, just to brush up on my writing skills and such. But I know this isn't an option at every prison. If it is, you should take advantage. If not, you should start thinking beyond "job" and more into "career."
    Good Luck!
    Jacquelyn Colmey on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't you get trained as a photographer? You seem to be quite gifted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude,

    I have been on here before, long time back and was very impressed with you.

    Regarding your hopes for a job, just keep doing what you are doing. Is a marathon and you need to keep your stride and not worry about the finish line, just yet.

    When you get out, the news is going to be ALL over you. If you come off half as good in person as you do on paper, you WILL get job offers.

    There are still MANY good people that are out there that will be willing to give you a hand.

    I can only imagine what you are going through, but some days I think you VASTLY under estimate the effect that these writings are having and are going to have, IMO.

    Not chastising you at all, I have found your writing to be exemplary and have showed to any that will listen to me.

    Writing was MY 'Life Preserver', as well. I don't have to write a book or anything like that. I found that in trying to compose my own writings, it forces me to examine myself before I can write with any confidence.

    That is called introspection, and for someone like you, that had a LOT of stuff to think about, it is truly a Godsend that you have found your writing and stuck with it.

    Life Preserver, that is EXACTLY what it is, and not just for prison.

    You KNOW yourself, much more than you did when you began these writings, and it shows.

    THAT introspection is what so many people in jail DON'T do, you have it in spades, and it makes you worthy of another chance.

    Sorry to ramble and I hope you understand what I am trying to tell you.

    Keep your nose clean and keep writing, no matter what. Even if it is just angry rantings, quite simply, it is YOUR ticket out of your old life.

    Your journey on that path is well under way, you are not the same person you were going in.

    I look forward to the day you can celebrate your freedom with your loved ones.

    Best Regards,

    rick

    ReplyDelete