I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Monday, March 29, 2010

Freedom of speech in prison?

I did manage to visit Ted on Sunday despite being sick for a week. He had called on Saturday night to say he had some important things to tell me. It turns out he witnessed one inmate attempting to kill another inmate among other things. More on those in subsequent posts.

Ted did write more blog entries and placed two envelopes on his cell bars for the CO to pick up. The CO came, took one of the envelopes, crumpled it up and threw it at Ted - for no reason whatsoever. So much for freedom of speech in prison. Ted will attempt to send them out again.

At one of the other institutions Ted has been at, he kept a list of things to write about in a book when he gets out – since there’s a lot he’s not supposed to discuss from inside. That list was found by some COs and torn up. So I’m keeping a record of certain events for Ted.

You may remember that Ted met up with another young man who had come to Lancaster from Brevard as well. COs at Brevard took all the pens away from all the inmates for two weeks. As soon as Ted left for Lancaster, those pens were returned to all of the inmates.

Ted was not transferred to the work release camp yet and still remains at Lake Butler. He described his living conditions to me and I’ll relay them in tomorrow’s post.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I get it.....you commit a crime that is obviously big and bad enough for you to land your butt behind bars??? You can't live with the rest of society so you should live in prison with luxuries like cable tv??? Yeah, that makes sense. Commit crime + keep all other privlages= punishment? Hahah ok, dream on. I don't know who Ted is, but he obviously deserved to be where he was. Even if he was "at the wrong place at the wrong time" or hanging out with friends that made poor choices, obviously, you need some work on the company you keep just sayin'

    ReplyDelete