I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Turning 21

Every teenager dreams about the day when he or she turns 21. I wasn’t any different, but somehow all through my teenage years, I knew I would either be in jail or prison. I was always so sure about it that I didn’t even look forward to it. I can’t even explain how I knew it either – I just did.

Well in five days, I turn 21, but instead of being about to drink or even be with my family, I’m stuck here at work release. It’s not a surprise to me because of the life I was living, but it’s still depressing. I don’t even care that I can’t drink. I’ve never been a big drinker in the first place, but how many people have you heard say that they were a convicted felon before they turned 21?

Sometimes I feel life my life is over before it even started. Of course I know that’s not true, but there are people my age that it would be true for. I’ve met people in prison that haven’t seen the street in 30 – 40 years! That could have easily been me.

So this year, instead of celebrating my 21st birthday, I will celebrate my release from prison and a new start for a new life. Sober.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. Ted, I can't remember how I first came across your blog, but I've been following you for many months. I am a mother of two sons in their early 20's. I look at you-you could be my son. I can tell from your writings that you are loved by your family.

    You have had a hard life lesson, but you have learned from it and you are a young man with your whole life ahead of you. Your blog has been a blessing to me. You are no longer the boy who started this tough journey; you've grown and matured from this. I believe in second chances, third chances... and that every day is a new day--an opportunity to start anew. I believe in redemption. It is a wonderful thing. So hang in there!

    Secondly, you are a terrific writer-so much talent. Keep it up and keep reading. You are going to do fine--just hang in there, Buddy! (I call my sons "Buddy" so hope you don't mind!)

    You are in my prayers--hold on and keep your eyes on your goals and don't let go. Life is hard, but always remember that everyday is a new day. You keep writing because you are good at it. Cultivate your writing and develop it.

    ReplyDelete