I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Saturday, June 5, 2010

Sick at the Largo Residential Reentry Center

Ted fell very ill on Thursday. He called yesterday and told me that he had begged several times to be taken to the hospital or a doctor. Each time, he was told by a staff member, “Leave me alone. I’m busy.”

Ted was unable to get out of bed and was throwing up repeatedly. He alternated between sweating and the chills. He was unable to eat and his nose was running. He also discovered a large bump on his skin.

Ted had previously told me a few months ago that the inmates at Lancaster would be getting swine flu vaccinations. I asked him if he had ever received one and he said no. Several of his symptoms were similar to the swine flu.

I called the Largo Residential Reentry Center and was disconnected four times. I was transferred to several individuals and kept repeating that Ted needed to get medical attention. Finally I left my number and told them I would be calling the Florida Department of Corrections in Tallahassee.

Within five minutes, I received a call back. I reiterated that Ted needed medical attention and had been told to ‘shut up and go away’. The person I spoke with said it sounded as if Ted needed to be transferred back to prison. I immediately got upset because it sounded as if he was being punished for being so ill. She told me that I had misunderstood and if he was that sick, he would be transferred to Zephyrhills C.I. where a doctor would look at him immediately. I asked if he would return to the Largo Center and she said it would be up to the doctor.

Several hours later, I called back to check on Ted. I spoke to the same woman and she told me two times that Ted did not have the flu.

They got Ted out of bed and put him on the phone. Ted told me that he had been taken to a walk-in clinic. I asked him how they determined he did not have the flu. Did they take blood samples? He said, no, they just took his vital signs and he did have a temperature. They had told him at the clinic he had a virus. (Note to staff: "The flu" is a virus.) Without a blood test, it’s impossible to determine if he has the swine flu. He was also instructed to return to the clinic to get a test of the bump on his skin.

Ted is feeling just a bit better today. The Center is charging Ted $70 for the clinic visit to be paid out of his earnings.

7 comments:

  1. This makes me so angry I don't even think I should post what I'm thinking. I will say this....before these people are hired to work at prisions/work releases/whatever, they should have to spend 2 weeks as an inmate. No one knows who they are, just inmate #A65849321. I am so angry. Sad how once you commit a crime you're no longer eligible to be treated like a human. Sorry, not sad, disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Jaque. My ex-spouse had to do 10 mos in the pinellas county jail for a VOP with a 2nd DUI. After only being there for 1 mo, he became ill, turned jaundice & was kept for 10 days in their medical wing until he was taken to a local hospital on the 11th day. Put on life-support & passed away the next day. He was only 48 & his teenage son & daughter were unable to communicate with him prior to his death. The only medication given to him in jail with flu like symptoms & jaundice were 2 motrins. Autopsy showed he had Hep C & cirrhosis of the liver. We had the same dr. & no Hep C was ever mentioned. A professor in Miami looked over the jail & hospital medical reports & he thinks he died from complications of diabetes. I have to wonder if the medical examiner was told by the sheriff dept to put the cause of death as was stated on the death cert. Can't seem to trust them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's absolutely horrible, ronicky! I'm so sorry to hear of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. are you for real first you blame for a death due to a per-existing condition and again because he committed a crime DUI, which is the major cause of most traffic accidents that his kids could not see him. He put himself there by driving while he drunk. Question are you an ex-inmate. Now for you this inmate in order to go to work release signed a contract that he would pay for his medical cost, not the state. secondly there is a procedure in place to request a trip to a medical facility or state facilty. Hey its called a request for either sick call or medical furlough. each of you probally are ex-inmates or the parents of an inmate. commonality here they committed a crime and they are in prison, because of that crime nothing more or nothing less. where were you when they were doing these crimes, which one of you is going to speak up for the victim. apparently this place as far as I see it is doing to much for them, I say get rid of work release program and the 15% gaintime rule and have them do day for day like the feds. This website is in violation of the departments rules as it relate to this inmate, so what I am going to do is contact this facility and the department of corrections and complained about an inmate having a web page. bet he didn't go to the doctor when he was out, gee the state wasting my money on a convict.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Anonymous.I would like to explain of a few things(not that you're worth it,but to let other people know).First,my ex did not have a pre(not per)existing condition.If he had Hep C,Diabetes,or whatever the death certificate states,he was unaware.He was not,nor ever a drunk.He held a steady job.He only had a glass of wine with dinner at a restaurant,while on a date.Second,when he was stopped & accused of being intoxicated,he refused the breathalizer test,because he knew they were not accurate.The officer made him walk in a straight line,which was on an uneven street,making it hard for my ex,as he had foot surgery 3 months prior to his traffic stop & was still limping.He fought it in court.The judge seemed fair & gave him 30 days to turn himself in.When he became ill,he did request a trip to the medical facility, (cant you read?)and was kept there for 10 days.Test were supposively done.It's common sense to go to the hospital with jaundice. Next,I never was an inmate nor will I ever be,as I obey the law & I'm the most honest person you'd ever meet.Another thing that you & most people might not know,is that when an inmate,like my ex has their own health insurance,they're not allowed to use it,so instead of contacting this facility & the DOC to complain about this web site,(which they already know about dumba$$)why not instead complain about why inmates are not allowed to use their own health insurance when ill.If my ex was allowed,he would've been treated properly & may have survived,but instead,you & the tax payers ended up paying for his ER visit,hospital stay,life support machine,test, etc.,so I thank you :) Better hope & pray that you,a family member or good friend never get in trouble with the law & end up behind bars, as it can happen to the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to laugh over Anonymous' comment pertaining to this website. In order for Teen in Jail to get on ABC World News, ABC Nightly News, Channel 10 and Florida newspapers, all of the media people had to contact the Florida Department of Corrections in Tallahassee to get their permission to film and/or write about Ted. DOC already knows about the website. I would love to overhear that phone conversation when Anonymous does contact them. And there's no rule anywhere that says inmates don't have freedom of speech. It seems to me, Anonymous, that YOU are an ex-con. Otherwise, how would you know that work release residents have to fill out a medical request form? Ted was actually TRYING to get that form when he was told to "go away". And yes, he DID go to the doctor - he was transported there by the work release van.

    ReplyDelete
  7. few week ago I felt some pains and I went to the hospital my doc told me I had hpv about 1 yr and I need to start the treatment early, he gave me some medicine to be taking and I told him no I’ll not, because I hated taking medicine when I won’t not see cure for the purpose. After I got home I started getting worried searching for strong advice and I found valid natural treatment online lot people says they got hpv cure from Dr onokun and I email Dr Onokun 3 days passed, I purchase his cure online some weeks after the process taking his treatment i got cured. I went for checkup twice after taking the natural treatment from the herbalist called Dr onokun and i tested negative. contact him on email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete