I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Worries

Even though I’m still finishing my prison sentence and I still belong to the Department of Corrections, now that I’m at work release I have new things to worry about: money, clothes and hygiene. Some of the things that really worry me are running into a group of old friends or drugs. It’s so easy in prison to stay clean because even though drugs are around, it’s not like on the street. So far I’ve been doing good, but a lot of people here have been sent back to prison for drug use, so I know it’s still around.

What worries me is – say I make it out of here in August, get out and move away. Then I’m going to have to start over somewhere else and I’ve never done that on my own before. I’ve been incarcerated during the years I should’ve been learning how to live on my own. It feels like I’m being kicked out of a cage into the chaotic world.

I know that if I really needed something, I could go to my parents, but I don’t want to have to do that for the rest of my life. For instance, when I get out, I have to pay these court costs off so I can get my license back, get a car and save up even more money so I can get an apartment. I don’t know how or where I’m going to get all this money. I know I have three months left, but that’s not a lot of time to save money, especially when they take 65% of everything I make.

Maybe when I get out I’ll work for a couple more months and save every penny I get. It just seems impossible to make it in the world sometimes.

4 comments:

  1. Been reading for a while. I live in New Port Richey area and came across this in the paper one day. Good luck to you and you should consider starting a career online. There are many different ways to make money and since you are a good writer one of them may work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ted, take it one day at a time..if you're doing the right things every day, the job, money, etc. will come to you. The important thing is to NEVER go back to the "old ways". Old habits will put you in limbo, and you'll never get ahead. You're young, very smart, and mentally ahead of the game. Be patient and do the right thing and you'll have a great life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would send a bill to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington DC, that is after why Obama was elected so he would pay for things and getting your license back and finding an apartment are definitely things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure I understand the previous post that seems to suggest that Obama is some how responsible for paying the fines associated with your sentence. One of the things that I respect about this blog is that Ted is accepting responsibility for his actions; one of those responsibilties will be paying the fines associated with the crimes that he committed.

    That being said, Ted: as a criminal defense attorney I have had a few clients that have communicated the same concerns that you have been writing about. My advice to them has been to find a routine that works for you. If you keep yourself busy enough on the outside, you will have a much better shot of not being PRR. AA/NA also goes along way. I am not familiar with your addiction issues if you had any and am glad to hear that you have remained clean since being in the system, but I have had a lot of clients who go to meetings weekly just as a reminder--that might work for you.

    Remember that Rome wasn't built in a day. It is almost certainly going to take some time to get on your feet when you get out. Keep your head up, do the right thing, remember the hardships that your incarceration has caused your mother, and keep doing what you are doing in learning from your mistakes and hopefully educating others through your writing.

    Warmest wishes,
    TS

    ReplyDelete