I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Saturday, February 27, 2010

A really close call

   

This is a story about old friends of mine. One day a couple of my friends were sitting in their car outside a house drinking. They were sitting there talking about nothing in particular, when one of them pulled out a .22 caliber handgun and started playing with it. They were both drunk at this point, so neither one of them protested. In fact, to them, guns are fun. Plus, if you were living the kind of life my friends and I were, it was almost a necessity to have one.

Anyway, after loading his gun, my friend – who was sitting in the passenger seat – said, “Watch this,” then leaned out the window and took a shot at the stop sign right in front of them.

I guess neither one of them noticed that about the distance of a city block in front of them, there was a group of kids playing in a park. So right when my friend pulled the trigger, all the kids went running and screaming.

Both of my friends took off and came back later to find out that everyone was okay. Nobody even knew what happened. Thank God.

They both decided that day to never drink when guns are around. Sure it would’ve been better if they stopped drinking and messing around with guns altogether, but you can’t convince them to do that. Maybe now they’ll read this and remember just how lucky they were.

Photos: Park where kids usually play; bullet hole near top left of letter "P".

No comments:

Post a Comment