I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Sunday, February 7, 2010

Being sick in prison

I can write about how much prison sucks all day, but one of the worst times to be in prison is when you’re sick. It doesn’t really matter if you have a simple cold or the flu. The only thing you get for any sickness is generic non-aspirin – which doesn’t do a thing.

Plus, since I’m at a work camp, I have to work five days a week and it doesn’t matter how sick you are – you still have to go and do your job.

If you really wanted to, you can put in a medical request to see the doctor – who will give you something a little bit better than non-aspirin. But if you do that, it takes about three days or so for them to call you out and usually your sickness will be going away by then. Plus they charge you five dollars.

A lot of people, if they’re sick, will declare medical emergencies and go to the doctors right then, but all they’ll do is say that your condition isn’t life-threatening, charge you five dollars, send you back – then bring you back a couple of days later and charge you another five dollars.


No matter which way you look at it, it sucks to be sick in prison.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mrs.Braden,
    I'm sorry for the late night intrusion to your home, i felt it necessary to go through you to write to Teddy. My name is Tony, me and Teddy went to school together and hung out a bit after, I'm likewise someone who saw the error of that life shortly after being arrested 2 years ago. As you may have noticed in my hastyness to write to Ted, i forgot to leave my contact information. If you have an email I can send you my contact information so you can give it to him so he can send to me directly, would be greatly appreciated and probably a bit more convieniant. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete