I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Monday, February 15, 2010

Don't be friendly

I don’t care if you try to stay to yourself while in prison or not. There are always people trying to get things out of you. At first it’s petty – like one cookie or one cigarette. But over time, it adds up. It’s always just one of something.

I learned that even before I came to prison. You can’t be friendly. After awhile, people will leave you alone, except the few people who actually want to be your friend. Be careful though – even these people can be deceiving.

The world inside these prison gates are cruel and over time, it kinda hardens you, so to speak. You learn to tell people what you’re really thinking. Sometimes you get so aggravated because people won’t leave you alone, you just sort of snap on people for the littlest things. That’s only happened to me a couple of times and they happened to be some of my friends. I feel guilty for doing it, but an apology would show weakness. So I explained my situation to them and left it at that. Your true friends (at least for your prison term) will understand.

What I guess I’m trying to say is, don’t be friendly in any way. Once you do, you’ll never see the end of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment