I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Thursday, April 15, 2010

Wasted lives

Ted also wrote this entry over two weeks ago.

Like I said before, I’m at Lake Butler now. They’ve got me on Wing 3 in I block, which is where all the adults are. So far, some of the people I’ve been talking to have been in prison since before I was born.

One guy has been in prison for 37 years (since 1973). He’s getting ready to be released in 2012.

Another guy I was talking to has a life sentence. He got into an argument with somebody and shot him. He has been in prison a long time, but just knowing you’re never going to get out must be the worst feeling a person can have. He seemed to feel really guilty about what he did, but he said that he deserves what he got. I guess, but I still wouldn’t want to be in his shoes. Your whole life thrown away for one bad decision. A life for a life.

When I get out I don’t even want a gun within a mile of me. I’m scared it might go off and hit somebody and someone else will blame it on me. I don’t need that pressure in my life.

Can you imagine the culture shock of getting out of prison after 40 years?

Events in 1973:

- World Trade Center in New York City, is dedicated.
- Burglars are caught breaking into Democratic Party headquarters at the Watergate Complex.
- Skylab is launched.
- The Sydney Opera House opens.
- US and Vietnam sign cease-fire, ending longest US war and military draft
- George Steinbrenner III buys Yankees from CBS for $12 million
- With Roe vs. Wade, the US Supreme Court legalizes abortion
- Bahamas gain independence after 300 years of British rule
- Comic strip "Hagar the Horrible" debuts
- Good Morning America premiers on ABC

In 1973:

Average cost of new house - $32,500
Average house price - $9,942
Average income per year - $12,900
Average monthly rent - $175
Cost of a gallon of gas - 40 cents

Thirty-seven years ago (in 1973), there were no:

- ATM machines
- VCRs in the average home (never mind DVD players, video games, iPods or even Walkmans)
- Personal computers
- Cordless phones, cell phones or Caller ID
- Microwave ovens
- Digital cameras
- TV remotes

1 comment:

  1. Cars were very different then since their weren't annoying seatbelt laws by those rent a cops.

    Plus cars had no computer components at all such as power steering or ABS brakes to help control skidding nor airbags.

    Anything else I forgot about cars?

    ReplyDelete