I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Saturday, April 3, 2010

Ted and Martin

Last Tuesday, Ted called me and told me he had been transferred to the Central Florida Reception Center in Orlando.

Ted phoned again tonight. Ted told me that literally right after he got off the phone with me on Tuesday, he met Martin. Ted has never seen Martin, but Martin read Ted’s blog for months while he was on the run from authorities. Martin is also writing blog posts from prison and I post them on his site “Notes from Prison”. (Click on the green banner ad on the right side to go straight to Martin’s blog.)

Ted and Martin are in the same dorm, but are housed in different wings. Ted has run into Martin two different times and they talked for about 30 minutes each time. Martin recognized Ted right away.

The CFRC is also an adult facility, but has some youthful offenders. The YOs cannot use the phones every day. They can call home only when the COs feel like letting them use the phones. The inmates can only visit the canteen once a week in Orlando. I was going to visit Ted on both Saturday and Sunday this weekend, but Ted asked that I only visit him on one of those days so that he might stock up on some extra food from the canteen. He’s pretty hungry since he’s no longer getting any extra food working in a kitchen.

I asked Ted if he had any books left to read and he said he couldn’t read at night in Orlando because there is no lighting in the cells in the evening. He does read a bit during the day and has half of a book left.

Apparently Ted was moved to the CFRC in Orlando before being transferred because Orlando is closer to the work release center. Orlando is still about two hours from Ted’s home. Ted is hoping that he will be transferred to the center this week.

It’s actually a miracle that Ted and Martin even met in Orlando, as both are on their way to other destinations within the vast Florida prison system.

No comments:

Post a Comment