I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Worried about the future

I had to go to court again yesterday. It was the fifth or sixth time I've been to court for my current charges and they keep postponing my hearings.

I have to explain the point system. Most felonies are equal to [an average of] 16 to 22 points each. A first-degree felony equals 56 points. Forty-four points will get you sent to prison.

My charges include trafficking MDMA (Ecstasy) and possession of cocaine and marijuana. I was the middleman in a drug deal. The drug dealer and the person who set up the deal are both out on probation.

I currently have 60-something points for all my charges - enough to send me to prison for 40.6 months.

I'm scared.

I could possibly get house arrest or get sent to a drug-rehab program. My parents are hoping I get sent to a local rehab called Solid Rock. They get you a job and provide housing and teach you to be responsible for yourself - pay your own bills and live on your own.

But I could easily be sent to prison too. If I get sent there, mostly likely I won't be sent far away. Due to budget cuts, most inmates sentenced to prison are sent closer to their homes. They want to save money on bus tickets when the prisoners are sent home.

There is also a prison work camp right near the Pinellas County Jail (behind Checkers at Ulmerton and 49th St).

The Pinellas County Jail currently has an overload of federal inmates. They're from Columbia, Brazil and other such countries, and are awaiting trial on drug charges from the cocaine trade. They will eventually be sent to prison.

My charge - drug trafficking - carries a sentence of 3 years and a $50,000 fine. I'll have to wait for at least another month, but probably more, to find out what will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment