I've spent two years in prison relaying stories sent by letters to a blogger about my crimes, arrests, and life in four Florida prisons, the Pinellas County Jail, juvenile detention and drug rehab. I'm sending a message to others not to make the same mistakes I did.


Thursday, September 9, 2010

An employee's nightmare

The whole time I was in work release I worked at telemarketing jobs. It’s not that I wanted to [work at telemarketing], but I did it because I thought it was a way to save money and also it would keep me from going back to prison. Well as it turns out all it did was keep me from going back to prison.

The telemarketing place I was working for (Discount Energy in Dunedin) kept giving me bad checks. Every time I turned in a check from there it would bounce. Sure for the most part I always ended up getting paid even though it was never the right amount. Somehow even though I worked eight hours a day, five – sometimes six – days a week, I rarely ever saw a weekly paycheck over $200. It was always closer to $150 – much less than minimum wage. Now that’s while I was in work release, but now that I’m out I still haven’t gotten paid. I figured out that with everything they owe me for the last couple weeks and including one past check that bounced - they owe me $782.

Now get this – the owner of Discount Energy, Doug, told me he won’t give me my last two checks he owes me because another check he gave me bounced at Amscot. LIKE THAT’S MY FAULT!!!!!! I’m not the only person he’s done this to. It’s just that everybody who works there is from a work release program and nobody will say anything because they need the job or they’ll go back to prison.

Currently I’m taking all necessary legal actions to get what I’m owed and also that the guy who runs this crooked place pays for what he is doing.

The Largo Residential Reentry Center is fully aware that the residents’ paychecks keep bouncing. The financial person at the Center was supposed to get back to Ted a week and a half ago to let him know the total number of his paychecks that have bounced, but has not yet returned the call. Another released inmate (from the female Center) also has not received the pay owed her. Yet Goodwill continues to have their work release residents work at this place. Ted has hired a private investigator to investigate the owners and will be pursuing further action with the state.

11 comments:

  1. Here, here, bro.. That's real! I just got my last payment from Discount, and what a joke... They need to be taken out back and shot! But, hey I have a plan... Get in touch with me.. I miss my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. People that are just getting out of prison probably shouldnt leave comments about shooting people or plans they want to put into effect. Whats funny is that this child has been in prison and in and out of corrections for most of his teen life. Talking a big game and acting on it are two different things. Claiming to be tough and from a gang and running the streets one day and then calling the cops and bringing them with you to a place of business the next. Come on. Cut your loses and move on. Instead of putting all this effort into trying to get said money said company "supposedly" owes you try putting it into getting a new job? How bout that? If you put half the energy youve put into this whole situation into a new job youd probably be a big wig by now. Grow up. You and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey youu up there ^^^^ fuckk youuuuuu you dumb rich bitch ! go after you $$ nigga thats what you worked for get that shit outt of uncle sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for taking action! I was about to suggest that you file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau as well, it could discourage other companies from working with your employer in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you go to the Labor Department and file a complaint, you will get your money. They will come right in and take their books. They will determine how much is owed and you will get a check. They will just take it out of the businesses checking account. I was in business and know all about these things. You do not need to pay for an investigator. You will also possibly be able to collect Unemployment Insurance if you worked there long enough. Even if you did not, they will help you find a job. What they did is illegal and just as much a theft as a burglary would be. Good Luck, Ted

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, the posts have gone quiet. What's the news?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ted is back in Clearwater Detention on possesion of marijuana and probation violation..sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ted is doing fine. We will be writing an update shortly. He quit smoking and babysits a two-year old girl five days a week. He is really good with children. Whoever said he is in jail is incorrect. He is staying away from all his old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine getting bad checks from my bail bonds employer. It's hard enough to do a good job and earn your living in these times. Then your paycheck bounces! That would stink...

    source:

    A Hope Bail Bonds | 117 Gass Ave. Ste. B | Las Vegas, NV 89101 | (702) 208-9898

    ReplyDelete